i'm 26.
most people my age are doing things like getting married, having babies, closing escrow on houses, planning for their "next" baby. it's serious stuff. adult stuff.
now, i don't want to invalidate those life-changing milestones of the greater 26-year-old population, but i must tell you about my recent big girl step: investing in the proper bra.
seeing that i'm not exactly what you call "voluptuous," i've never felt the need to have a bra fitting. i would just go to the store, choose the smallest size available, buy it, and wear it. no lace, no frill. patterns on a bra never made sense to me, nor did neon colors. my modest bosom had always been content with the nude t-shirt bra.
with such indifference to bras, i never felt it a priority to replace them. i would rather spend money on a great bottle of wine or a week's worth of tasty treats. consequently, my plain bras were forced to succumb to the everyday wear-and-tear. loose, thin, and sometimes stained, they were pretty much useless. still, i never gave a damn. i just repeated to myself, "my boobs are small. treats are good."
but leave it to g to intervene during my lapse in womanhood. noticing my unsupported bosom in a dress, g encouraged me to have a proper bra fitting. according to this apparent bra guru, it didn't seem like i was wearing the correct size. and my bras were just plain old. so he made a plan for me one night: have a fitting, choose the proper bra, and buy it. price, not an option.
after some internal kicking and screaming and a few eye rolls, i put on my big girl pants and did it. i walked into nordstrom, told the specialist i didn't know what the heck i was doing, tried what seems like millions of bras, and found THE ONE! a size completely different than what i had been wearing, nude with a touch of lace on the borders, just enough padding, and comfortable, my bra gave my bosom just what it needed: love and support.
wearing my new bra, i feel like a new woman. an actual woman. sure, it was far more than what i would have paid in the past, but i see it as an investment. my boobs are snug, my clothes fit right, and damn, i just feel pretty.
so to all those twenty-somethings out there doing big things, brace yourselves! erica is on her way!
Good thing you did this life-changing event at the young age of 26 --- while I didn't do until just a few years ago, at the ripe old age of 38!!! LIke you, I never gave a crap about my bras until I realized that I spent most of my days walking around and adjusting my bra straps. A girlfriend of mine suggested that I go to Intimacy (bra specialty store). I made the appt. and bam! The saleslady changed my life! She told me that I was way undersized, and when she told me my correct size, I almost fell down! But she was right! I have been living my life free from adjusting and contorting my body just to fit into my bra. As dramatic as it sounds, it really did change my life! Now I am all about bras. :-)
ReplyDeleteisn't it great?! i can only imagine how ridiculous i looked, walking down the street, always readjusting my bra. it all makes sense now! it's amazing how these simple, little alterations in our perspective can change how we feel, both inside and out. let's go, bras!
Delete