5.20.2012
on wine, strolls, and homemade meals
Hello again, from the farmhouse in San Gimignano! I apologize in advance if this post seems a little on the lazy side.. It's just after eating a lunch, prepared by the grandmother/owner of this b&b, on a chilly and cloudy day, you can understand why I may come across a bit sluggish. And who wouldn't be after homemade tagliatelle with boar ragu, bruschetta, and a salad similar to that of a nicoise salad? Yeah, you get the idea. Yesterday, mama and I enjoyed a lazy morning sipping cafe latte and tea in the plaza, where of course, the best people-watching happens. Now there's one thing I just can't wrap my mind around...eating gelato before 11 am. Is it a tourist thing? Is it the new "breakfast of champions?" and why in the heck are gelaterias even open that early? Please, just show me where I can find some bran and Greek yogurt! Midday, we hit the road again for a trip to Chianti. Between my phone, a few maps, and the gps that now works, we made it in one piece. I can't even describe in words what the drive was like...just imagine rolling hills, vineyard after vineyard, and poppy-lined roads. It was bliss. Once we reached the winery we planned on visiting, we did a little wine-tasting. And I walked out with the loveliest wine of the region...and a buzz. Oh, big news! Mama likes red wine...the drier the better! We plan to open this baby up on a picnic in Paris. After wine tasting, we had some lunch to soak up the alcohol before heading back to San Gimignano. The rest of the day was filled with strolls, picture-taking, cafe lattes...repeat. Today, after this monstrous lunch, we plan to catch up on postcards, browse, and pay our daily visit to the bakery for a hot drink and treat. It doesn't get better than that. Things to note: We decided that it would be nice to travel with two more people...it's impossible to indulge in wine knowing that mama has to be sober enough to drive and I have to be alert enough to navigate. Next time, we'll be the backseat passengers. My traveling bowel still isn't up to speed. No matter how much fruit, dairy, and water going into my system, my bowel refuses to cooperate. Thank you, dulcolax, for giving me a break. And last but not least, we may be coming back with the black lung, courtesy of Mr. Secondhand Smoke, but boy will be rested and satiated! Until we meet again, ciao.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your tio and I would love to go with you and mama next time. I think it would be a BLAST! I'm so glad that you and enjoying the county sites.
ReplyDeleteAs far as your bowel issues, I have a wonderful tea that will take care of that problem.
Can't wait to see more posts.