the following is an email i sent to my family during my love affair, or rendezvous, if you will. consider it a portal of entry into my heart. imagine the emotion. and then multiply that by infinity, add a few thousand palpitations and a handful of love-struck dizzy spells...that is what it felt like.
August 16, 2008
Paris is my city, my dream that became a reality. I don't remember what I told you about the first day, so if I repeat anything, just go with it. After we met with Emma, she took us to the apartment. What a dream! It is owned by a French artist so you can imagine what a wonderfully artisitc place it is. It had beautiful French windows overlooking a courtyard, rustic wood floors, an iron spiral staircase, ecelctic furniture, and wooden beams spread along the ceiling. I could honestly go on forever describing this place, but I have so much more to write about...wait for the pictures. So after we got situated, Emma made a delicious curry, and we just sat around the dinner table the rest of the night, drinking wine and relaxing.
The first official day in Paris was a rather relaxing day. Emma's dad goes to the bakery every morning, as all French do. He brought home about 6 fresh baguettes, some fresh oj, and strawberry preserves. Yummy, oh yes. Then we were off for the day. We visited Notre Dame, but only took pictures of the outside since there were so many people waiting to get inside. I don't even know what exactly is in the inside, so I wasn't heartbroken by not going in. It was ominous, yet beautifully constructed, though. After that, we lingered over lunch at a sreetside cafe, where I ate another crepe...I could eat those every day. Then off for a leisurely stroll in the luxembourg gardens, where we people-watched and took pictures of kids playing with sailboats in the pond. You would think that we would be ready to do more exploring, but nope, we were ready for a nice nap back at the apartment. The rest of that day, we spent time at the apartment, drinking more wine and eating blueberry tarts.
Day three in Paris was our last day. That meant that we had TONS to see. So, Rilee and I started our day early. Before I write anything more, I must tell you that the weather couldn't have been more perfect. It was autumn weather, with those white clouds that I love, a crisp breeze, and hints of love love LOVE. Anyways, our first stop was the Louvre. We got there right when it opened so we could have a good look at the Mona Lisa. I took some pictures of her. It was great to see her, but to be honest, I'm still trying to understand her smile. What is it about that smile that captivates throngs of people? After seeing her, we went through more of the museum, but not through all of it...you could spend a good week in there. Took some great pictures outside near the glass pyramid. DaVinci Code, finally realized.
Our next destination was the Eiffel Tower. We went to a market and bought some food for our lunch picnic: baguette, turkey, apples, nectarines. Then we made our way to the heart of Paris. As we walked there, I felt this anticipation that I have never felt before in my life. I felt like someone had just told me that the one true love of my life was waiting for me just around the corner. That I would be touched from the inside, out. And it was true! The tower, in all of its mystery, peaked over some buildings, bidding me to lose all inhibitions. My heart sank to the ground...I was absolutely smitten. Rilee and I sat in some grass, broke out our picnic and ate with our esteemed guest...the Eiffel Tower. If someone can fall in love over and over again, I did.
We finally made it to the metro, got off, ran like heck to the tower, and saw one of the most glorious sights. The tower glimmered blue against the black backdrop. Stunning! We had 5 minutes to take pictures and then we had to run back to the metro. And we made it..sweaty and all. But at least we saw it. I'm not too bummed about the limited time because I know I will be back soon.
That ended our last night. The next morning, we woke up, had our final breakfast at a cafe with Emma and Jill (almond croissants), and said our goodbyes. And I wore my flower skirt. So yes, I accomplished
everything I wanted...crepes, cappuccino, escargot, picnic by the tower, and flower skirt. Well, I have to go because I don't have anymore time left on this computer. Let me just say that my love is with you all, but my heart is in Paris. Oh my gosh, it really is. Ciao.
i love it! i've been thinking about paris so much lately... i actually did a paris post on my blog right before i read this!
ReplyDelete